top of page
Anchor 15
Anchor 31

A newspaper cutting from the Yorkshire Evening Post dated 18th March, 1946.

Kindly sent in by Lee Fox


Image © Johnston Press plc. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD

Anchor 30
Anchor 29

LONDON GAZETTE 29 September 1801


Copy of a Letter from Captain Keats, of His Majesty's Ship Superb, at Sea, to Vice-Admiral Pole, dated the 18th of September 1801


S I R ,

I Have the Honour to inform you, that the Defence, whofe Signal was made to chace this

Morning, has returned with a French Lugger Privateer of  Fourteen Guns and Sixty Men, named L'Enfant du Carnival.

I have the Honour to be, &c. &c. &c


To Vice-Admiral Pole, Commander in

Chief, &c. &c. &c.




WHEREAS by Order made by the Chancery Division

of the High Court of Justice in an action John

Maria Joseph Baillie's estate, Johnson v. Baillie

1895 B. 3304 an enquiry is directed whether Andrew

John Baillie the son of the testator is living or dead and

if dead when he died and who is now his legal personal

representative or representatives. Now pursuant to such

Order the said Andrew John Baillie if living or if he be

dead the person or persons claiming to be the legal

personal representative or representatives of the said

Andrew John Baillie is or are personally or by his or

their Solicitors on or before the 1st June 1896 to come in

and prove his or their claim at the chambers of Mr.

Justice North at the Royal Courts of Justice Strand

London England or in default thereof he or they will be

Peremptorily excluded from the benefit of the said Order.

Thursday the 11th day of June 1896 at twelve o'clock at

noon at the said chambers is appointed for hearing and

Adjudicating upon the claims.

'•NOTE.—The said Andrew John Baillie was formerly

an Instructor, in the Royal Navy and in the year 1882

was attached to Her Majesty's ship " Superb." He was

understood to have been in Trieste in the year 1882

where under the name of Andreas Baillie he went

through the ceremony of marriage with a certain Maria

Carolina de Cardona and it is believed that he afterwards

went to Monte Video in South America.

Dated the

14th January, 1896.


GRANVILLE SMITH and CO. 16 Leadenhall Street,

in the city of London England Solicitors

for Plaintiffs.

Anchor 28


(Page 15)







Her Majesty's Cruiser Superb, one of the most modern warships afloat, turned back the clock yesterday to throw a pirate party that 400 orphan children in the San Francisco Bay area will never forget.

The sleek cruiser of the British Royal Navy was transformed into a juvenile wonderland flying the Jolly Roger and the crew was dressed in pirate costumes complete with sabres, eye patches and black mustaches, as the Superb's officers and men capped its goodwill visit here in a splendid and dramatic fashion.

Commodore Donald Fuller, the Superb's commander stood by with spyglass under his arm as the children swarmed aboard early this afternoon and the wonders never ceased until they all trooped ashore again at dinner time.

While the children stood by watching pop-eyed, pirates were tossed by the half-dozen lots into the chilly bay after having been forced to walk the plank for supposed crimes.

Then the other pirates seized the ship's winches and donkey engines scooped up children by the arm-loads to swing them high into the air and over the vessel's sides before they were lowered gently back to the deck.

Some of the seemingly inexhaustible supply of nautical outlaws manned the cruiser's long boats and with pirate guns which boomed and shot huge puffs of smoke into the sky carried children around the bay to the tune of pirate shanties.

Pirate cooks dished out jam tarts and pirate photographers ran a show of slides on one section of the deck while other pirate engineers operated a full scale merry-go-round on the fore deck.

Other pirate-manned attractions included a cable operated "space ship", swings, a see-saw and a fishing pond, with real fish in it.

It was, all agreed, the most gratifying and the most capably carried out mission that a warship ever undertook. 

Anchor 67

Extract from the London Gazette  1785


Savage Gardens, October 8, 1785

Notice is hereby given to the Officers and Companies of His Majefty's Ships and Veffels undermentioned, who were actually on Board at the Capture of the Dutch Ship Young Sufanna, on the 28th of October, 1782, off the Ifland of Ceylon in the Eaft Indies, that they will be paid their refpective Shares of the faid Ship, and fuch part of her Cargo as is confidered, at the French Horn in Crutched-fryers, on Monday the 17th of this prefent Month, and the Six following Days; and that the Lifts will be recalled at the fame Place the Firft Thurfday of every Month for Three Years.


Superb,  Héro, Sultan, Monarca,  Magnanlme,  Monmouth,      Sceptre,  Exeter,  Barford,  Worcester,  Ifis,  Sen Herfe,  Liozard Sloop, and Minerva  Store Ship.


The firft named Three Ships will be paid the firft Day and fo on in Rotation.

Amount to be paid each Clafs

                                                                                   £    s.     d.

               Captains, . . . . . . .  . . . . . . . .                      694   16     1

               Commiffioned Officers , . . .                              66   12     2

               Warrant    ditto, . . . . . . . . . . .                       35   4     8

               Petty ditto, . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..                        9    2     8

               Able and Ordinary, &c., . . . .                           1    6     0


The general Agent for Prize-Money to His Majefty's Squadron,

late in the Eaft Indies under the Command of Vice Admiral Sir Edward Hughes, informs his Conftituents that he is ufing all poffible Diligence

to  fecure them the Amount of their out-ftanding Claims: and that fo  foon as they are finally decided on, he will advertife the Refults in the Public Papers.

Marsh and  Croid, Agents.

Notice is hereby given to the Officers and Companies of His Majesty's ships and Vessels undermentioned who were actually on board at the capture of the Dutch ship Young Susanna on 28th October, 1782 off the island of Ceylon in the East Indies, that they will be paid their respective shares of the said ship, and such part of her cargo as is considered at the French Horn in Crutched-Fryers, on Monday the 17th of this present month and the six following days, and that the lists will be recalled at the same place the first Thursday of every month for three years.

Anchor 26

Portsmouth Evening News

Thursday 25 June 1891




At Greenock, on Wednesday afternoon, a party of seven excursionists hired a small pleasure boat and rowed out to the roadstead.  A steam lighter passed close to them, causing a swell, which made the boat rock in a manner alarming to the women on board, who foolishly, rose from their seats.  This caused the boat to capsize and all were thrown into the water.  Their cries were heard on board H.M.S. Superb whence boats were sent to the rescue.  Two women were swept away and drowned but five persons were rescued, of whom one afterwards died of exhaustion

Anchor 16


Western Daily Press

Monday 05 September 1892


A Sailing Ship Destroyed by Fire



Early on Saturday the fine new sailing ship Auchmountain belonging to Messrs. William Walker & Co., Greenock, which was lying off the tail of bank with a general cargo, bound for New Zealand on her first voyage, was discovered to be on fire.  Everything was done to save her, but without avail, the fire gradually spreading.  She had about twenty tons of gunpowder on board, and as the flames approached this, the captain and crew took refuge on board H.M.S. Superb.  The explosion took place about five o'clock this morning; it was so terrific as to alarm the town of Greenock, and many windows were broken in dwelling houses and places of business.  It was heard miles from the scene, and soon afterwards the quays were thronged with crowds of people who were under the impression that the Superb had blown up.  The vessel was, of course, totally destroyed.


Some houses in Helensburg were shaken by the explosion.  The report was heard five miles inland from Helensburg, and also at Glasgow, 25 miles distant.


The Home Office have intimated that an enquiry will be held respecting the cause of the fire and explosion on board the ship Auchmountain, which has an estimated loss of £40,000. 

Anchor 17

Sussex Agricultural Express

Friday 05 November 1915


A Sailor's Wedding:- Writing to a lady of Burgess Hill, a local member of the Grand Fleet, George Eli David Weller, of H.M.S. Superb states that he has just been home and got married, his bride being Miss May Glass of Dorset.  He says that he and his wife are in the best of health, and the sailors have been having lovely weather in the North Sea.


Anchor 18

Dover Express

Friday 01 November 1889


H.M.S. Superb is being rapidly brought forward for service.  although the vessel retains her old armament of muzzle-loaders, she has been recently fitted with new high-pressure boilers and triple expansion engines, so that a good speed is hoped for.  She has also been supplied with the latest pattern torpedoes.

Anchor 19

Edinburgh Evening News

Friday 22 July 1892





The following list of British born residents murdered in the riots at Alexandria on Sunday has been received at the Foreign Office from H.M. Consul at Alexandria: Dr. Ribton, attachment rank not stated; Mr. Pittworth, second engineer of H.M.S. Superb; Stracket and Herne, officers' servants, H.M.S. Helicon; Messrs. Dobson and Richardson, believed to be commercial travellers from Manchester.  There were no doubt a number of Maltese killed during the disturbances, who properly were under the protection of Great Britain, but their names have not yet been committed.


Gibraltar, June 15

The Channel Squadron, consisting of five vessels, left this morning for the Eastward, in pursuance of orders received last night.


Alexandria, Thursday 10.10 A.M.

The Greek Diplomatic Agent announces the departure of a Greek war vessel for Alexandria yesterday, and that a second will sail today.


Vienna. June 15

A dispatch received from Trieste states that over 1,000 Europeans are expected to arrive there from Alexandria at the beginning of next week.

Note the different spelling of the surname

Anchor 20

Evening Telegraph

Tuesday 06 February 1894




Information reached Greenock yesterday that while William Sandray, ship's blacksmith on board H.M.S. Superb, was working on the top deck in connection with some stove piping, he lost his balance and fell backwards into the water, and was drowned.  He is supposed to have been stunned by striking against the ship's side, as he never rose to the surface.  He was unmarried, and a native of Penzance, Cornwall. 

Anchor 21

Western Gazette

Friday 07 July 1911










Poisonous gas which had accumulated in the vegetable store on board the battleship Superb, off Portland, has caused the deaths of three of her crew.


The victims were:-

William Jones Ship's Steward's assistant

Arthur George Newnham, Cooper

Edward Coll, able seaman


A strange smell was noticed in the neighbourhood of the vegetable store and Jones and Newnham went down to investigate.  Both were overcome and died.


Heroic attempts were made by Coll to reach his two comrades but he too, sank down and died.


Mr. G.P. Byrnes the coroner for South Dorset, held an inquest at the Royal Naval Hospital, Portland, on Saturday afternoon.  Mr. Wells was chosen as the foreman of the jury.


Mr. H.A. Huxtable, who appeared on behalf of the Admiralty, stated that the Department deeply deplored the loss of three valuable lives.  It appeared from the plan that a compartment in the ship's hold was used for storing potatoes.  On Tuesday, Bartlett the captain of the hold, had inspected the compartment and found nothing unusual, but on Thursday he reported a nasty smell.  Instructions were given that no-one was to go down until the hold was ventilated, but, unfortunately, these instructions were not carried out, for apparently Jones and Newnham were overcome by foul gas and fell down unconscious.  Coll saw them and as would be expected from a British sailor, he went to their assistance and was also overcome.


William James Brewer, the ship's steward, identified the body of Jones and said he was a single man and a native of Gateshead.  On the Thursday evening the captain of the hold reported that there was a smell coming from the hatch of the port lower provision hold, where the potatoes were stored.  The ship was at sea in the Channel.  There were about 130 bags of potatoes, and some cases of corned beef and some soap.  It was not a usual place to carry potatoes.  They had to take in extra provisions owing to the Coronation. The potatoes were shipped at Portland on 14th June. He saw them all stowed and they appeared to be sound. They were old potatoes.  There was no ventilation when the hatch was closed down.  He told Bartlett to ventilate the hold by passing a flexible hose down and pumping some air in and then overhaul the potatoes.  He understood this would be done on Friday.  The assistant Jones informed him that he and the cooper (Newnham) were going down together with Coll the second captain of the hold. About 2.15 on Friday he heard that Newnham was in the hold unconscious.  When he arrived at the hold he found that the men had been taken out and were in the hands of the medical officers.  The potatoes had all been taken up from below since, and there was no more odour than usual.  A few he had cut open were all right.  The ship had a small potato locker about large enough to hold 1½ days' supply.  Most ships had special potato lockers built.


Commander Pound said the hold had been cleared out by men in diving dress, since when the hold had been ventilated.


In answer to the foreman, the ship's steward said the hold was painted with oxide, and had been painted about May last.


Mr. Wells said oxide was a very bad paint to use in confined spaces, and it would be dangerous to go down there immediately the hatch was opened without there being potatoes.


George Maydell Bartlett, captain of the hold, said on Tuesday evening everything was correct, and the hatch was opened.   On Thursday evening he visited the hold and found a nasty smell. He went to the bottom, returned and closed the hatch behind him.  He felt no ill effects from visiting the hold.  He reported the matter, and told the assistant-steward Jones, Newnham and Coll not to go down to the hold unless a witness accompanied them.  The steward told him to have the hold ventilated as soon a possible.  On Friday afternoon a boy messenger told him that the men had been found in the hold.  He went to render assistance and was going down the ladder when he was called back by the assistant fleet surgeon.  He then took a rope and tried to get it around Jones, but became unconscious.  The smell was not noticeable at the top, but about a foot below the level of the lower hatch.  The men were subsequently got up by men who tried the same means as he had.


The Commander said he went down later, and the sensation of the gas was similar to taking gas at the dentist's.


Edwin Henry Barrett, first class boy of H.M.S. Superb, said on Friday last about 12.30 he went on watch in the midshipman's flat and about 2.30 he was writing a letter near the fore lower provision hold.  Shortly after Coll, second captain of the hold, passed him and went straight to the hatch. Coll said, "Come quick, there are two men down the hold, pass a rope and come down quickly behind me".  A boy named Morse let down a rope and witness followed Coll down and when he had gone down a few steps he saw Coll try to lift Newnham.  Coll then dropped.  Witness was on the centre rung of the middle ladder, and did not detect any smell.  Seeing something was wrong he returned to the deck, called the doctor, and was sent by him to the Commander.


The Commander said that the men had probably been down there about 20 minutes before Coll found them.


Surgeon Albert Christopher Russack said shortly after two o'clock on Friday he was informed that three men had been suffocated.  The messenger led him to the hold. All the men were unconscious and they were brought up and he could find no pulses.  He tried artificial respiration for 2½ hours.  He thought the men were suffocated from carbon monoxide poisoning probably generated from decayed organic matter.  The gas was similar to that at the bottom of an old well.


The coroner said no doubt the Admiralty would hold a very searching enquiry to avoid a repetition.


A verdict in accordance with the medical evidence was returned.  The jury were unanimous in expressing their admiration at the bravery by the deceased Coll, and those who subsequently brought up their bodies.


The Assistant-Steward Jones and A.B. Coll were buried on Sunday afternoon: and the procession was witnessed by hundreds of people.  Newnham's body was taken to Gosport.





Anchor 22

Dundee Evening Telegraph

Tuesday 12 December 1933




Lieut. Commander J. Repp, who died at Torpoint, Cornwall, aged 70, joined the Royal navy 54 years ago and served for nearly 40 years.


He was present at the bombardment of Alexandria in 1882, serving in H.M.S. Superb, when some of his officers were massacred, and he took part in the Benin Expedition while serving on the West Coast of Africa.


While on this station he received the Royal Humane Society's testimonial for jumping overboard in a shark-infested sea and saving a member of the crew.


He was later awarded the society's Bronze Medal for recuing a lad who had fallen overboard at Devonport.

Anchor 10

Hull Daily Mail

Tuesday 06 January 1914




The marriage took place at Grimsby Parish Church this afternoon of Dorothy, second daughter of Mr. S. Franklin, Belmont House, Bargate, to Lieut Curry, of H.M.S. Superb, son of the Rev H.W.D. Curry, rector of Wheatley, Oxford.  There were four bridesmaids.  The ceremony was performed by the bridegroom's father assisted by the Vicar of Grimsby (Rev Canon Markham, M.A.) and the service was fully choral.  A reception was afterwards held  in the Town Hall by Mr. and Mrs. Franklin, and attended by a large number of guests.

Anchor 11

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser

 Wednesday 18 October 1882




                                             Corfu Monday


Her Majesty's Ship Superb went ashore off Lefkimo,

near the lighthouse, early this morning.  The Temeraire

went to her assistance, and she was got off at

four o'clock this afternoon


The Superb is an armoured-plated steam vessel of

9170 tons and 6580 horse-power.  She carries

sixteen guns and forms part of the

Mediterranean Squadron.  She is commanded

by Captain Thomas Warde, C.B. and was

commissioned at Chatham on 4th October, 1880


The Press Association learns on enquiry at the

Admiralty that no official confirmation of the

statement concerning the reported stranding of

Her Majesty's Ship Superb near Corfu had been

received up to late hour last evening.

Anchor 12

Western Morning News

Saturday 28 May 1932


A Service Calendar


On May 28, 1673, occurred the first battle of the Schooneveld between the Allied Anglo-French Squadron and the Dutch.  The fleets had been becalmed within sight of one another since the 25th.  Prince Rupert sent a light squadron inshore to tempt the enemy from their anchorage, and de Ruyter, gallant fighter that he always was did not need much tempting.  He maintained far better order than the Allies.  Confusion robbed the latter of their victory.


On May 29, 1909, H.M.S. Superb, was commissioned for service for the first time, and took the place of H.M.S. Formidable in the First Division of the Home Fleet, that vessel transferring to the Atlantic Fleet, with her old captain and crew.  The Superb had been launched in 1907, the fourth unit of the Dreadnought type and an appreciable improvement on the pioneer.  During the war she did as good work as a ship of her type had the chance of doing, and when the Armistice was signed was the flagship in the Mediterranean, leading the Allies through the Dardanelles.

Anchor 13

Western Gazette

Friday 30 August 1912







An extraordinary accident, which resulted in two men of H.M.S. Superb being drowned and the lives of 14 others being gravely imperilled has occurred near Portland Bill.


The ironclads had finished battle practice for the day, and a boat was being lowered  from the davits of the Superb when the falls gave way.  The boat had a crew of 16 on board in charge of a midshipman, and all were thrown into the water. Big seas were running at the time.


A scene of great excitement followed. Ropes and lifebuoys were thrown to the struggling seamen who were clothed in oilskins and sea-boots, and splendid heroism was shown by no fewer than five officers of the Superb, who, despite the great risk sprang over the ship's side.




It was due to their heroic efforts that the bulk of the sailors were saved.  The two unfortunate Bluejackets - Conway and Stewart - who lost their lives were splendid swimmers, but as they rose to the surface they were struck by the ship and sank.


Lieutenant Wilson displayed single pluck in endeavouring to save one of the men.  Again and again he dived to rescue him, but his efforts proved futile, and at last he was hauled out of the sea in a very exhausted condition.


Yesterday afternoon the Superb steamed into the channel, and over the spot where the accident happened, the ship's chaplain conducted a funeral service.  The ship's crew speak in the highest praise of the officers who ran such great risk to save the lives of the seamen.




Bluejackets, however, have the reputation of being the most superstitious persons in existence and the men of the First Battle Squadron of the Home Fleet, at Portland are now talking about the evil genius that seems to be hanging over H.M.S. Superb.

It is asserted that this is the fifteenth fatal accident which has occurred on the Superb during the fifteen months that she has been in commission.  It was on the Superb that several men were suffocated by poisonous fumes in the stokehold and not long afterwards three men were washed overboard off the coast of Ireland.  There have also been fatal coaling accidents on the ship.  All this is food for reflection for the superstitious in the Fleet, and the "tars" are talking very solemnly about the ill-fated battleship.




Anchor 14

Birmingham Daily Mail

Saturday 22 May 1915




The following letter has been  received in Malton from a sailor on board H..M.S. Superb, which with the cruiser Warrior was stated in a recent Berlin wireless message to have been sunk:-


Dear Mother, - I am writing a few lines to let you know that we are still afloat, and not sunk, as the rumour goes.  We were coaling at the time we heard the news that the Superb and the Warrior had been sunk, but I can see the Warrior from here, so there cannot be much about it.  I was going to telegraph, but it will take as long as a letter to reach you, so I delayed it.  I have not much news now, except that I am in good health :- from your loving son --------

Anchor 15

Derby Daily Telegraph

Friday 21 October 1881




The Press Association is officially informed by the Admiralty that H.M.S. Superb is under orders to proceed to Tunis.  H.M..S. Falcon leaves Malta today to relieve the Bittern on the coast of Tunis.




Anchor 16

Kentish Gazette

Tuesday 22 June 1852



A court martial was held on Wednesday last, on board H.M..S. Waterloo, in Sheerness harbour, for the trial of George Hale, a private, Royal Marines, for deserting in January last, from that ship, on board which he was serving and obtained a few days leave, but instead of returning to his duty, he had enlisted in a regiment of the line.  The court consisted of Capt. C. Hope, H.M.S. Monarch, President; Capt. Purcell, H.M.S. Superb; Captain Peter Richards, H.M..S. Boscawen; Capt. C. Rodney Mundy, H.M.S. London; and the Hon. S.T. Carnegie, Captain of H.M. screw ship Horatio.  Wm Webb Hayward, Esq., of Rochester, officiated as Deputy Judge Advocate.  The trial lasted but a short time, as the prisoner threw himself on the mercy of the court, and in consequence of his former good service he was only sentenced to six months imprisonment, a light punishment for the offence of desertion from a ship of the line in commission.

Anchor 17

Portsmouth Evening News

Monday 04 October 1880







The armoured-plated ship Superb, sixteen guns, 6,750 tons, 7430-horsepower, was commissioned at Chatham this morning by Captain Thomas Lee Ward Hunt.  She was built for the Turkish Government, but was afterwards purchased by the English Government, and is the most costly vessel in the navy, as immense alterations have been made in her.  She is to proceed to the Mediterranean.



Anchor 18

Portsmouth Evening News

27th April 1885




Letters received at Plymouth from Gibraltar state that the inhabitants there have been greatly surprised by the unexpected arrival of H.M.S. Superb, one of the Mediterranean Squadron, as it is seldom any of those ships find their way so far westward, unless homeward bound.  While at Malta the Superb was suddenly ordered to get up steam and prepare for sea, and although many of the officers and men were ashore when this order came, they were speedily recalled by signal, and in about two hours steam was up, the boats were in and the ship ready for sea.  She left Malta with sealed orders and with great mystery, no one on board except the captain knowing what her destination was.  It was midnight when she steamed out of the harbour, and at daylight she was shaping her course for Gibraltar under French colours.  During the day she was passed and "dipped to" by an English steamer, but the Superb made no response, so that it was evident the captain was under orders to observe the strictest secrecy.  The day before reaching Gibraltar the Superb overtook a Russian corvette, which, on the former hoisting English colours, immediately altered her course and stood away for the Spanish coast, though she had evidently been making for Gibraltar.  The Superb experienced heavy weather during the run from Malta and having done the distance at full speed, she consumed less than 600 tons of coal, which were supplied to her again at Gibraltar.  Nothing is know as to her destination, but she was under orders to be ready for sea at half an hour's notice, and all sorts of rumours were afloat as to the service on which she was to be employed.

Anchor 19

Portsmouth Evening News

Friday 14 July 1899


DEATH OF A NAVAL ENGINEER -The death is announced of Fleet-Engineer C.W.G. Chambers R.N., of 10, Spencer Villas, Little Heath, Old Chariton.  The deceased who was on the Retired List of the Navy, served as Chief Engineer of H.M.S. Superb during the Egyptian war of 1882, and held the medal and Khedive's Star.

Anchor 20

Portsmouth Evening News

Friday 20 June 1930





Major-General R.V.T. Ford, C.B. whose appointment as Adjutant-General of the Royal Marines is announced, has been 34 years in the Corps.  He joined the R.M.A. in 1896 and as captain commanded the contingent in H.M.S. Superb before the late war.


During hostilities he was Brigade-Major.

Anchor 21

Hartlepool Mail

Saturday 14 November 1891


IncentiveS to Victory


The following is an extract from a letter written by an officer belonging to the squadron Commander Vice-Admiral Duckworth, dated on board H.M.S. Superb. south of St. Domingo, February 6th, 1806 :- " Captain Keats before we began, suspended to the mizzen-stay a portrait of our beloved hero (Nelson).  There it remained unhurt, but was completely covered (so was Captain Keats himself) with the blood and brains of poor Brookbank, one of our boatswain's mates.  Two or three minutes before the work of death began, officers' hats off on the quarterdeck, our band played 'God save the King', then came 'Off She Goes', and next 'Nelson of the Nile'.  Never was enthusiasm greater than ours, and to it we went heart and hand."

Anchor 22

Hampshire Advertiser

Saturday 17 March 1849


Stealing Lead


Three marines belonging to H.M.S. Superb, named Richard Raymond, Charles Mist, and Charles Hall, were brought up charged with stealing forty-two pounds of scuppers, or lead piping, from the above ship on 25 ult.


Committed for trial at the sessions.


THURSDAY. - (Before Major Travers, Edward Casher and George Victor, esqurs.



Anchor 23

Dundee Evening Telegraph

Tuesday 27 October 1903.



The Neptune, which collided with H..M.C. Victory began life as the Independencia, having been built for the Brazilians.  When she was launched, she stuck on the mud between Greenwich and Woolwich.  It was just before the outbreak of the Russo-Turkish war and Parliament had passed a vote of £5,000,000, part of which was spent in buying the Neptune; more of it went for H.M..S. Superb, which had been built for the Turkish Government; while the four 100-ton R.M.L. guns which are divided between Malta and Gibraltar were purchased rather than let "Elswick" sell them to the Italians.

Anchor 24

Western Morning News

Saturday 01 July 1922




In addition to the German warship Nürnberg, the old battleship Superb is to be used as a target during the Atlantic Fleet's exercises to be witnessed by the King off Torbay next week.


The Superb has for some months been in Dockyard hands at Chatham, being prepared for use as a target ship, and she was recently towed to Portsmouth.  It is understood that the Superb is to be used as a target for aerial bombing

Anchor 25

You can enlarge the photos by clicking on the appropriate one

Anchor 68

Long Beach California  Newspaper

August, 1955


This image can be magnified to improve reading. Simply hover the mouse over the photo and click
Anchor 1

Sod's Opera !


This image can be magnified to improve reading. Simply hover the mouse over the photo and click
We Ain't Sulkin'.pdf_page_1.jpg
Anchor 2
The Press tour the ship with Lt. Ince Thu__Aug_25__1955_.pdf_page_1.jpg
Anchor 3
Anchor 4
Anchor 5
bottom of page